Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine.

We visited the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp this morning. In case you were wondering, here's a brief history. . .
The first concentration camp opened in 1933 in Oranienburg, the town we walked through to get to this camp. It was for mainly political opposition or personal enemies of the Nazi's who had recently come to power. As that camp grew they relocated to Sachsenhausen in 1938. All the concentration camps basically stemmed off from this one because this is where they trained officers to run other camps. By 1945 it covered over 500 acres of land. The set up of the camp was such that there was one tower that oversaw everything. This design was a means of controlling everything from one place and is now known as "architecture of terror". 
They rebuilt this replica to show where the walls stood that enclosed camp. This is the size and stature of the original wall, only without the gaps obviously. 





Camp entrance.




Electric barb wire to ensure no one escaped. 

This sign said something to the effect of "If you step in this area we will shoot you without warning."







These beds were originally constructed for political prisoners, which "weren't as bad as Jews" meaning they were treated better. What you see is triple bunk beds intended for at least three men per bed meaning 9 per bunk bed. And they "had it good."


This area was strictly for shooting people. 



To "punish" people they would bend them over this and strap their legs and feet to the back then beat them in front of all the other prisoners. I say "punish" because punishment is to change the actions of an individual but these beatings often ended in death so no action was changed. It was more for the shock factor of other prisoners. 

Remains of a crematorium. 





Prior to visiting the camp I asked my Momma to pray for my heart because I knew it would be tough. Visualizing such ugliness is hard for anyone but it tends to stick with me and haunt me later. So many emotions filtered through me in those hours at Sachsenhausen. Initially, I experienced the obvious sadness and pain at the thought of what had occurred in this very place. It was bitterly cold as we walked though but that seemed fitting for the information we were receiving. Much of the land had been cleared of what once stood. The emptiness that remained brought to mind the void that must have existed in the hearts of so many Nazi soldiers. It seemed wrong to me that the sun was shining as I listened to stories of mass execution and endless death. I noticed my shadow and thought that everything should be that dark. 
But God.
Then God.
As Switchfoot sings, "the shadow proves the sunshine." Likewise, the darkness proves the light; death proves life. Life must exist beyond this, must continue. Life does continue and is found in Jesus. The craziest part of all is that Jesus died for Hitler, every Nazi soldier, every Jew, and me. He loves all of us and would have died even if Hitler was the only person to ever exist. He would have died for the life of one Nazi. He has called us out of death and into life regardless of who we are or what we've done. I am left feeling the flood of God's grace and His redeeming love. I, too, am guilty of sin but I have been saved from death! The Nazis were saved from death if they chose! What a precious and priceless gift. 
Now that it is all said and done, I am glad I experienced that without any of my loved ones. While it is often said, "a burden shared is a burden halved," this is one burden I needed to experience alone. I needed to feel the full weight of it in order to fully feel God's loving mercy for all of mankind, including me. As a result, I am reminded that God uses all things to fulfill His purpose. Light shines brightest in the darkest places. 

"Your life is a journey you must travel with a deep consciousness of God."
1 Peter 1:18

xoK

2 comments:

  1. KT! Look at you! I just read all of your posts. . .sounds/looks like you are soaking it all in. (Jeal). I'm appreciating all of the nice photos you are taking. . you must have a really nice camera. .wowzahs!

    I miss you lots and am encouraged by you! I'm proud of you! Praying for you way over THUR. (Whur?) over THUR. (Whur?). bahaha...love you, HF, BC, GL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RUBY! You're so sweet. Thanks for reading! I've been thinking of you! Funny thing about my camera...our travel guide broke my lens! Ah! I had to buy a new one.

    Thanks for your sweet words and prayers! Loveyou!
    Have fun? Be careful? Give life? Get low? Give love? I do not know.

    ReplyDelete